Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Defending Steve Westly

Since there's approximatelya week left until the June 6 primary, I took it upon myself to become more active in the political debate. While publishing on my blog is great, attempting to get published in a major newspaper is probably a better way to get more exposure.

So below are some letters to the editor that I have drafted and submitted to the Sacramento Bee. Whether The Bee decides to publish it, only time will tell. But if they don't print it, at least I manage to give my two cents here:

I’m writing in response to the article, "2003 bank deal raises questions of possible conflict for Westly." This piece is filled with accusations and shows just how low both the press—and other candidates—are willing to go to dig up some dirt.

It seems to me that, far from having a conflict of interest, Steve Westly did what he needed to do to keep the state afloat. Without these RAWs, California’s credit rating would be in shambles -- not to mention that the state would be bankrupt. As a result of the Controller’s work, our schools and hospitals stayed open.

Frame it the way you want to frame it, but in my eyes, the deal was innovative leadership on Westly’s part. One more thing, let’s move forward and stop with the negativity. Let’s rather focus on the real issues and find out where these candidates stand on education, the environment and health care.

Here's another:

I’m writing in response to Mr. Weintraub’s article "Westly says he’ll apply eBay lessons to government." The title explains why I’m voting for Steve Westly on June 6. His record of transforming eBay from an obscure online company to one of the world’s most commonly used websites shows that he has the experience to lead California into the 21st century.

This vision of innovation is what differentiates Steve Westly from his opponent. He understands that in order to compete in a global world, California must invest in its students.

That’s why I particularly like Westly’s promise to make community college free for all students who commit to finishing a two-year degree or to transferring to a four-year university. If we are to remain the envy of the world economically, it all starts in investing in our students. We need a governor who understands technology and innovation and possesses a vision for the future. Steve Westly has the proven track record. If Steve Westly can do with it eBay, I bet you he can do the same for California.

Technorati Tags:


No comments: